History of Scouting in Maldives
Scouting in Maldives began in 30th May 1956 in Majeediyya School. However, there are certain photographs dated as early as the 1950’s which shows boys in Scout Uniforms at some national functions. Scouting was registered in the Government of Maldives in 19th Shawwal 1375 H, 30th May 1956. In 1961 cub scouting a natural growth point of this activity began in Majeediyya School under the supervision of principal Mr. J. V .Hill.
Scouting in Maldives received international recognition when Majeediyya was registered as First Male’ Scout Group at the Imperial Headquarters of London, in 1963 by Mr. Dymoke Green, common wealth scout commissioner. Fist investiture was held on 26th February 1963 for cub scouts and the first camp was held at Hulhulé for 4 days from 28th April 1965.
On 28th January 1984 The Maldives Boy Scouts Association was established. The Maldives Boy Scout Association became a member of World Scout Movement on 23rd July 1990 at the Paris World Scout Conference. The Maldives Boy Scout Association was renamed as The Scout Association of Maldives in 1992.